Which ITR to file? Know the Correct Income Tax Form

Which ITR to file? Know the Correct Income Tax Form


Depending on the type of income, the category the taxpayer falls under (Individual, HUF, Company etc.), and the income that the taxpayer makes, there are different types of Income Tax Returns (ITR) Forms which needs to be filed. In case taxpayers choose the wrong form, they will have to go through the process of filing their ITR again.

To help the taxpayers pick the correct form, a brief synopsis of the applicable tax return forms has been tabulated below:

Which ITR to file? Know the Correct Income Tax Form

ITR Form NumberType of TaxpayersType of Income
ITR 1 (SAHAJ)Resident Indian Individuals and HUFsIncome from salary, one house property, other sources (interest etc.) and agricultural income upto Rs. 5000. Total income should not exceed Rs. 50 lakhs
ITR 2Individuals and HUFsIncome from salary, more than one house property and income from other sources.
ITR 3Individuals and HUFsIncome from salary, house property, income from business or profession and income from other sources
ITR 4 (SUGAM)Individuals, HUFs and firms (other than LLP)Income from salary, one house property, other sources, income from business or profession computed under Section 44AD, 44ADA and 44AE and capital gain. However agricultural income can be upto Rs. 5000. The total income should not exceed Rs. 50 lakhs
ITR 5Firms, Local Authorities, Artificial Judicial Persons, Body of Individuals, Cooperative Societies, LLP and Association of Persons (Other than Individuals, HUF, Company and person filing Form-7)Income from House property, income from business or profession, other sources
ITR 6Company other than companies claiming exemption under Section 11
ITR 7Persons/ Companies under sections:

139(4A)- income derived from property held under trust or other legal obligation wholly for charitable or religious purposes or in part only for such purposes

139(4B)- by a political party if the total income without giving effect to the provisions of section 139A exceeds the maximum amount, not chargeable to income-tax

139(4C)- by every Scientific research association, News agency, Association or institution referred to in section 10(23A), Institution referred to in section 10(23B), Fund or institution or university or other educational institution or any hospital or other medical institution.

139(4D)- by every university, college or other institution, which is not required to furnish return of income or loss under any other provision of this section.

139(4E)- Business trusts that are not required to furnish their income or loss must file their returns under this section

139(4F)- Investment funds that are present under Section 115UB and are not required to furnish any income or losses must file returns under this section

For any question visit us at forum
Disclaimer:The article or blog or post (by whatever name) in this website is based on the writer’s personal views and interpretation of Act. The writer does not accept any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of information and for any actions taken in reliance thereon.  It is prepared based on understanding of provisions as stood applicable as on date. Also, accountsforum.com and its members do not accept any liability, obligation or responsibility for author’s article and understanding of user.

Source link

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: